Who discovered the visible light spectrum
Only a very small area of the electromagnetic spectrum is visible to the human eye. All the colors of the rainbow belong to it.
In the seventeenth century, the English physicist Isaac Newton let sunlight fall on a prism. On a screen he could see the colors of the rainbow. His conclusion: white light is composed of all colors.
Red light has a wavelength of about 750 billionths of a meter (750 nanometers); Violet corresponds to about 400 nanometers. The rest of the colors are in between. Visible light is given off by atoms when the outermost electrons change their orbit around the nucleus and lose energy in the process.
Why do we see light of all things?
It is nowhere near that the Earth's atmosphere allows all radiation from the sun to pass through. But this is the case for the range of visible light: the atmosphere is permeable, especially in that section of the spectrum in which the sun radiates almost half of its energy.
But not only the atmosphere, but also water is transparent to visible light. This is the only reason why light can reach the retina through our eyes, which are largely made up of water. According to the theory of evolution, one can now assume that our eyes have adapted to these “light windows” of the atmosphere and water over the course of millions of years in order to be receptive to the radiation that is most present.
How is a rainbow created?
Raindrops can break down sunlight into its colorful components. Because at the boundary between two translucent materials such as air and water, light rays are refracted, i.e. the light ray makes a kink. How much the light changes its direction depends on its color: red rays are not deflected as much as blue rays.
When it rains and the sun shines at the same time, light falls on the raindrops. Rays of light enter the drops, are reflected on the inside and exit again. Because the colors contained in white sunlight are refracted to different degrees when entering and exiting the drops, they are deflected differently and a colored rainbow is created.
- What will the next transcendental number be
- Should Jerry Brown run for president
- What is the missing meaning in Telugu
- How does an SSD work
- What SAT hacks are there
- Are Lenevo phones worth buying?
- Can I do physics research from home?
- Who were the women who built America
- China blacklisted Google
- How many people apply for SIIB Pune
- How many donuts are there in the world?
- What are your preferred alternate history scenarios
- Make wireless headphones with iPhones
- What awful product has excellent marketing
- Have air conditioning at home
- Why India Sucks So Badly When Exercising
- Is autism self-diagnosable
- I will always be afraid of something
- Who is the sexiest musician alive
- How does an osprey protect itself
- What's wrong with a high sun protection factor
- What 1980s TV Show Everyone Should Watch
- What are some common misconceptions about marwadis
- What are the different print disabilities