Do you have a sidejob

Can I actually? 165-euro job: Tips for a part-time job when receiving unemployment benefit

Losing the job usually means a major financial cut first. With the 165-euro job there is a possibility of topping up unemployment benefit I. So that you do not lose any claims, you have to follow a few rules.

Unforeseen situations? With us you are always well protected. >>

What is a 165 euro job?

The name is a bit misleading: Because the 165 euros for a part-time job in unemployment are not the maximum earnings limit, but the Allowance. If you earn something in addition to unemployment benefit I, your net income will be deducted from the unemployment benefit - except for that 165 euros.

  • For example, if you earn 450 euros in a part-time job, 285 euros will be deducted from your unemployment benefit.
  • But if you only earn 165 euros or less, nothing will be deducted from your unemployment benefit.

As a rule, you can have a maximum of 165 euros more available through the part-time job than with your regular unemployment benefit I - see below for possible exceptions. The regulation applies to a job subject to social insurance as well as to a mini job.

165 euro job: how many hours can I work?

There is no specific maximum earnings limit for part-time jobs parallel to unemployment benefit I. Therefore, it does not matter whether you receive the minimum wage or a higher remuneration there.

However, it is essential to note the maximum number of hours: As long as you less than 15 hours per week work, you will still be entitled to unemployment benefit.

But as soon as you per week exactly 15 hours or more work you lose your entitlement to unemployment benefits. You are then practically no longer considered unemployed. If the employment agency only finds out about it after a delay, you may even have to make repayments.

Of course, this maximum number of hours also indirectly limits your possible additional income.

What are the exceptions to the tax exemption?

Business expenses and sideline jobs that you already did before you became unemployed can lead to more than 165 euros remain deductible from additional earnings.

Do you have to drive to your part-time job by car, bus or train? You can state the costs for this - or a kilometer flat rate if you drive yourself - as income-related expenses at the employment agency. Provided, of course, that your employer doesn't reimburse you for it. Your allowance will then be increased by this amount. With 20 euros in advertising costs per month, the tax exemption would be 185 euros. Of course, this also includes other costs that you have to incur in connection with your job.

You already had a part-time jobbefore you lost your main job subject to social security contributions? Even then, your tax exemption for additional earnings in addition to unemployment benefits can be over 165 euros. In this case, it is based on your average additional income in the last twelve months before unemployment.

Example: So far, you have always earned 200 euros a month in your part-time job. You can continue to do this even while you are unemployed, the 200 euros remain deductible and are not deducted from unemployment benefit I.

If you have earned less than 165 euros per month in your previous part-time job, the tax exemption is still 165 euros and does not decrease.

This applies to secondary employment with less than 15 hours per weekthat you in the last 18 months before receiving unemployment benefit at least twelve months have worked for a long time in addition to your main job. Self-employed activities or those working as family workers - for example in agriculture - are also taken into account if they meet the requirements.


What information about the part-time job does the employment agency need?

A 165-euro job is generally welcomed by the employment agency, as it regulates everyday life and the activity can serve as preparation for a new start in the profession. Important: The part-time job must be reported to the employment agencyat the latest with the start of the activity. You are obliged to do so. You can use the employment agency's digital service for this.

Your employer must also certify the additional income to the employment agency. You can download the form you need for this from the employment agency. If you are self-employed in your part-time job, you do it yourself.

With Hartz IV, additional earnings are regulated differently

Should you stay unemployed for longer and someday Unemployment benefit II (Hartz IV) have to apply, different rules apply to extra income.

The duration of the job is insignificant here, so the limit of 15 hours does not apply. The tax exemption is not 165 euros, but basically 100 euros per month. There are staggered additional allowances for income in excess of this. You can find out more about this from the employment agency or the job center.

  • If you earn additional income in addition to unemployment benefit I, 165 euros remain free.
  • Advertising expenses and previous part-time jobs can increase this allowance.
  • Important for the 165-euro job: The working hours must be less than 15 hours per week, otherwise the entitlement to unemployment benefits expires.
  • The job and the additional income must be reported to the employment agency.

Please also read our legal information on the content.