How safe is trench water in Florida
Florida: Hacker wanted to poison drinking water remotely
Hackers attacked the safe drinking water in the city of Oldsmar, Florida. An employee of the groundwater treatment plant was able to thwart the attack, the local sheriff explained on Monday. The employee observed live how his mouse pointer moved as if by magic and the setting for the supply of sodium hydroxide changed from 100 parts per million to 11,100 parts per million.
The employee reacted immediately, even before an acid measuring system had sounded the alarm. According to the information, the hacker installed a back door at 8 a.m. local time on Friday and then returned at 1:30 p.m. to manipulate the setting. The sheriff gave no information at his press conference about possible motives or suspects.
Close to the superbowl
Sodium hydroxide, also called caustic soda, is added to drinking water in small quantities to regulate the acidity. This prevents corrosion and thus reduces the release of toxic lead in lead pipes. In higher concentrations, however, sodium hydroxide breaks down tissue, which is why it is used in high concentrations as a drain cleaner.
Controlled tests with sodium hydroxide solutions on human skin have shown no reaction at 0.05 percent sodium hydroxide, slight skin irritation at 0.5 percent and severe irritation from 4 percent. 11,100 parts per million correspond to 1.11 percent. Up to the tap in households, the value would probably have fallen a little.
Oldsmar has almost 15,000 inhabitants and is named after the automobile pioneer Ransom E. Olds, who also gave the car brands Oldsmobile and REO its name. Olds was a large landowner in the region about a hundred years ago. Two days after the attack, the 55th Superbowl took place in neighboring Tampa.
(ds)Read comments (429) Go to homepage
Don't miss any news! Every morning the fresh news overview from heise online
You can find detailed information on the dispatch procedure and your cancellation options in our data protection declaration.
- How was the UnCollege application process
- Winston Churchill was an unbiased historian
- What's the point of popularity
- What are some Indian startups from Dalits
- What's your favorite philosophical fiction book
- The authors of this article are wrong
- What is confirmed in clinical research
- What is a typical license agreement
- Can transport water vapor solids
- Is hard water bad for your teeth?
- What are some invisible images
- What makes cheese moldy
- The people of the Congo don't like Belgium
- What animals are there in Zion National Park
- How good is UIUC for music composition
- What makes psoriasis worse
- How majestic are the Valars
- What is the placement policy at LPU
- How many of you support Janasena
- Are all beautiful girls obliged
- What books are used in student chemistry
- Is an aircraft mechanic risky
- Which courses do you recommend according to cfp
- How would Saturn's atmosphere smell?
- How can I call up DVB triples
- What are the digital arts
- Have people had sex in space
- Gives Nietzsche good advice
- What do you think of containerization technology
- How can computers understand the Sanskrit language
- What is the full form of USMT
- What's in a pot belly