What is the most unintuitive physical fact
Zeno (around 500 BC) put this paradox in a nutshell to argue against the notion of "plurality", arguing that this is a belief in the existence of many things and not just one leads to absurd conclusions: If there are many things, they must be both small and large; so small that it has no size, but so large that it is unlimited.
See section 2.2 of Zeno's Paradoxes in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The following quote is from a discussion of Zeno's book on Paradoxes by Simplicius (who apparently still had his book a thousand years after Zeno, which is now being lost):
If a thing had no size, mass, or mass, it would not exist. Because if it were to be added to something else, it wouldn't make it any bigger. If it's not sized and added, it can't get any bigger. And so it immediately follows that what is added is nothing. But when it is subtracted the other thing is neither smaller nor enlarged, when it is added the thing added or subtracted is clearly nothing.
This seems to be the earliest source of the paradox, but not its resolution, which had to wait several millennia for the concept of a distance function to develop that allows you to compute the length of an innumerable infinity of points.
- Why was Amendment 17 adopted?
- What are the muscarinic cholinergic receptors
- Why does the frequency in the transformer not change?
- What does electronics mean
- Makes you smarter learning new languages
- How do I make my joints stronger
- What is your new website
- When is Harry Potter's birthday
- Can babies take anti-malarial drugs
- Where is Champaran in Raipur in Chhattisgarh
- What does Aston University specialize in?
- What is the skin
- How do animals digest grass
- What was considered valuable in ancient Israel
- How did Periscope start
- Which courses do you recommend according to cfp
- Is traveling really so much fun
- Consider acceleration as a force
- How do we ask questions about problem solving
- What is a bootstrap sweep circuit
- Why does Thailand have so many transgender people
- Which is the most hated club
- What is the BITS Pilani Mission 2020
- What is the antonym for piquant
- Who invented chemical engineering
- Why is Bullet Journal called Bullet Journal
- Which book is best for TSICET preparation
- What information is published on Whois
- Did Hitler only love himself
- What are the best blogs about NoSQL
- What happened to Mary's Lamb
- Will my career change me
- Why do people drink meth bong water