Why is 1 0 not defined
Reading time: 4 min
The question about the result of “zero to the power of zero” () cannot be answered clearly.
Here are some considerations about this issue:
because for every number the following applies: (see also principle of permanence)
because for zero to the power of a number, the result is zero:
Not defined, because both variants 1 and 2 create a contradiction, i.e. there is no uniqueness, which is problematic in mathematics. Incidentally, this will also be the reason why many pocket calculators input or output at.
The answer is often found:
Use what makes sense for the math problem at hand.
It is often useful to use.
There is a variety of literature on this and, as I said, one encounters different approaches. In computer science, for example, prevailed. For fun you can test that yourself and enter 0 ^ 0 in Google.
If we write and use the power law, the result is:
It must therefore apply:
So the question arises, which number multiplied by itself results in itself? Here we can think of two numbers for which this is possible:
Solved in general:
So we see that there are two solutions with and.
Basically, however, is preferable. If we chose, new problems would arise in higher mathematics.
Approach via limit values
The consequence has the limit, there
The consequence has the limit value.
The sequence also has the limit value for each zero sequence.
The above is not proof of the correctness of the definition, but shows essential cases for which applies.
goes against, even though and each time against.
Wolframalpha defines zero to the power of zero as "undefined".
- Fade spots of beauty
- How do mangoes affect your health?
- Why is stoicism not more popular
- How does the world championship work
- Why is Hillary's paid speeches so controversial
- Are videos in Unacademy in English
- Did Anonymous do more harm than good
- What did you learn to build your catapult
- How are contact centers changing
- What are your favorite Titanic facts
- Is there a black box for cars
- What structured decision-making instruments are there?
- Engineers need virtual assistants
- How do I dispose of rotten honey
- Cost leadership is always the best
- How can I create a web encyclopedia
- How would you create a voice-over
- Was the strangest thing you heard wrong
- What is the classification of aluminum foil
- Denver Colorado is bigger than Dallas Texas
- What screams i'm british
- Are Taylor Swift's fans happy with her?
- Why is the overall performance the same
- Well worth selling the After Effects template