How can I improve my computer's performance?
Make Windows 10 faster: 8 tips for better performance
If you replace your Windows computer with a new model, you will notice the significantly better performance in comparison. However, if your PC becomes slower over time and your work becomes more tedious, it is not absolutely necessary to invest in a new model. Windows 10 offers many ways that Improve performance and the Increase speed noticeably. We'll show you eight functions and setting options that are available to speed up Windows 10.
Accelerate Windows 10: Here's how
Windows 10 offers you various options to noticeably improve the system's performance. So that the performance does not decrease over time, one in particular is worthwhile ongoing review those factors that have an impact on performance. For example, uninstall unnecessary programs or defragment your hard drive at regular intervals. How exactly this works and what other strategies there are to make Windows 10 faster can be found in the following sections.
One possible cause of long loading times is an above-average CPU load. You can find out how to overclock the CPU and thus increase its performance in the article "Overclocking the CPU - Fine tuning for the processor".
Deactivate autostart programs
When you start your Windows computer, start some selected programs automatically. This feature is especially useful with software that you use every day. Often, however, programs creep into the autostart that you do not need at all or only rarely. After their automatic start, these applications still run in the background and thus take up valuable RAM. Therefore, under Windows you have the option of manually editing the autostart list in the Task Manager.
Follow our guide to do that disable automatic program start and make Windows 10 faster:
- Open the Task Manager with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Esc].
- Select the tab "Autostart" out.
- Task Manager displays a list of all the programs installed on the computer. The "Status" column indicates whether the Autostart activated or deactivated for the respective program is. Search the list for processes that you do not want to start automatically when you start your computer. To change the status, right-click on "Activated" or "Deactivated" in the corresponding line and select the desired option from the context menu.
- Alternatively, click with the left mouse button on the respective program and then select in lower right corner "Deactivate" out.
Defragment hard disk and optimize read processes
Your computer saves files in individual data blocks and reads them out when necessary. The Arrangement of these fragments however, it gets confused over time if you delete data or save existing documents again. These processes separate contiguous blocks from one another (fragments are created) and the reading speed decreases as a result. When defragmenting your hard drive the data is re-sorted and you accelerate Windows 10. This not only increases the speed, but also the life of the hard disk. To defragment your hard drive (s), follow the instructions below:
- Open the Windows Explorer and select in the left pane "This PC" out.
- Then right-click on the hard drive whose data blocks you want to rearrange. In the context menu, select the option "properties" out.
- A dialog window then opens with information about the selected hard drive. Select the tab "Tools" and then click "Optimize".
- In the new dialog window "Optimize drives" select the desired hard drive again with a left click and start the defragmentation process by clicking on the button "Optimize“.
SSD hard drives do not have a read or write head. Defragmentation therefore has no advantages and does not affect the performance of the operating system.
Deactivate virtual memory
In Windows 10, the virtual memory is enabled by default. This is used when the physical working memory (RAM) is fully utilized. However, if your Windows computer does not have an SSD hard drive, the Use of virtual memory has a negative impact on performance out. In this case, it is advisable to disable this additional memory to make Windows 10 faster.
- Type in the taskbar search box "Show advanced system settings" and select the appropriate result.
- Select the tab in the "System Properties" dialog box that opens "Extended" out. Then click in the “Performance” section on the “Settings“.
- The "Performance Options" window opens. click on "Extended" and then in the section "Virtual memory" on the button "To change“.
- First remove the check mark next to "Automatically manage file size for all drives". You then have the option of "No swap file" to select.
- To apply the settings and deactivate the virtual memory, confirm your entries in all open windows with "OK“.
Turn off visual effects
Windows 10 stands out from its predecessor not only through technical innovations, but also through a more stylish design including many visual effects. These include animations, the refinement of edges or the display of window shadows. However, these effects decrease Computing power to complete. If the performance of your computer slows down, it is worth deactivating it. You may forego some design elements, but you benefit from one performance increase. In the performance options you have the option to activate or deactivate individual effects:
- Type in the taskbar search box "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows" and select the appropriate search result.
- The "Performance Options" window opens. By default, the required is "Visual Effects" tab already selected.
- Select the "Adjust for Best Performance" option. Thereby Windows prioritizes performance over visual effects. Alternatively, you also have the option of defining user-defined settings. To do this, manually select the effects that should be displayed.
- Finally, confirm your entry with "OK“.
Remove unnecessary programs
A large number of programs and tools are available for free download on the Internet. It is accordingly tempting to try out a wide variety of applications. But even if you don't use a program, it still proves it precious storage spacewhich can adversely affect the performance of your computer. It is therefore worth taking a regular look at the list of installed programs and apps. Uninstall unnecessary applications to speed up Windows 10.
- Open the Windows settingsby first clicking on the Windows symbol in the system tray and then on the gear symbol.
- Choose the "Apps" option out.
- Windows 10 shows you a list of all currently installed programs. If you discover an application that you are not using, simply select it with the left mouse button.
- Then press the button "Uninstall".
- Repeat this process for all the programs you don't need.
With most programs it is necessary to further instructions follow to complete the uninstallation.
Turn off background apps
Windows runs some apps permanently in the background in order to be able to continuously send you information and notifications - for example with an e-mail client. However, this function loads the main memory, which in turn has a negative effect on the overall performance. In this case too, Windows offers the option of using the Manually control the running of apps in the background and to deactivate this function in principle or for selected programs.
- To change the background app settings, click the Windows system tray icon, then click the Gear icon.
- Select the option "Privacy" out.
- In the left side menu, select the section "Background apps" out.
- Disable the “Allow apps to run in the background” feature to enable the General deactivation of the notification function for apps. Alternatively, deactivate the function only for selected apps.
Empty cache and dispose of garbage data
Every computer system has a so-called cache. This is one Cache, in which programs store data and can quickly call it up at any time. However, data remains in this memory that are no longer required and thus burden the system. A regular cache flushing is therefore one of the most important measures to accelerate Windows 10:
- Enter the term in the search box on the taskbar "Disk cleanup" and open the appropriate result.
- Select the desired drive for cleaning and confirm your entry with "OK".
- Windows 10 automatically calculates how much memory the cleaning frees up. You also have the option Manually select and delete files.
- Make the selection which files should be deleted and confirm your entry with "OK“.
The Usage of the main memory affects computer performance in a similar way. Since it also works with a cache, you also have the option of emptying it to make Windows 10 faster. You can find out how this works in the article "Clearing the RAM: A step-by-step guide".
Is the Your computer's CPU is heavily used, this has a negative effect on the speed with which programs and processes run. You can find out more about the CPU and possible reasons for high processor utilization in the article "High CPU utilization - what's behind it?".
Windows 10 reset as the last option
Have you implemented all of the above tips and still not noticeably improved your computer's performance? In this case, the last resort is to reset the system. That means: Windows sets all system settings to the factory settings back and delete all installed programs. You can optionally delete your personal files during this process, but these can also be saved if you wish. Be sure to use this option before you decide to do a complete new installation or buy a new computer.
- Open the Windows settingsby clicking the Windows icon in the system tray and then clicking the gear icon.
- Select the option "Update and Security" out.
- Click in the left pane "Restoration".
- Start recovery by clicking on “Reset this PC” in the “Reset this PC” section.Here we go“Click.
- The “Reset this PC” window opens. First determine whether you want to keep your personal files or remove them completely.
- Follow the dialog and finally click on "Reset to default"To start the process.
The Windows 10 reset feature comes in handy even if you have the Sell your computer to plan. This is because you can automatically delete all data and thus do not pass on any personal information to third parties. You can find out more about this in our focus article.
Autostart in Windows 10: How to customize the Autostart folder
Like all modern Microsoft operating systems, Windows 10 has an integrated feature that enables the automatic start of system-relevant and user-defined programs, service applications and processes. How exactly the Windows 10 autostart works and how you can add certain applications to it or exclude them, you will learn in this advisory article.
Windows 10 Dark Mode: How to use the Dark Theme
Windows 10 Dark Mode noticeably improves readability in dark lighting conditions. The alternative mode is easy on the eyes and promotes concentration, while the display requires significantly less power. We'll show you the three common ways to activate the Windows 10 Dark Theme - in the system settings, via the registry and with the help of free software.
Read Windows 10 key: when it is necessary and how it works
If you want to update your computer to Windows 10, you have to read out the Windows 10 key, also known as the product key. In 2016, Microsoft started issuing digital licenses so that the code is automatically transmitted in the event of a new installation. However, in some cases it may be necessary to read out the Windows key and enter it manually. We'll show you how this ...
Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode
The safe mode of Windows 10 is a form of the Microsoft operating system that has been reduced to the most essential functions. If there are many critical hardware or software errors, Windows 10 can still be started in safe mode. This greatly simplifies the diagnosis and repair of errors. This post will show you how to get into Safe Mode ...
Defragmentation in Windows 10: step by step
Defragmenting can accelerate the hard drive and thus increase performance, at least that was the case in the past. Modern file systems and SSD data carriers make defragmentation almost superfluous and in some cases even harmful. Windows 10 now usually takes care of these previously time-consuming processes automatically in the background, without any delay ...
- Is this sentence understandable in Chinese
- What is general physiology
- How does the political dimension affect culture?
- Why doesn't Donald Trump use Quora 1
- Is there anything Benedict Cumberbatch can't do?
- Is the Foreign Policy Journal reliable
- What are the benefits of being a teacher
- Where and who comes from the public administration
- How can research be useful
- Can a person be sexless
- What is wire winding resistance
- Can I change my signature?
- Why is Hampi a World Heritage Site
- Are tattoos a sign of uncertainty?
- How do I not miss the gym
- What are Poseidon's characteristics
- Is intelligence an ability?
- Who was the hippie Beatle
- Is Donald Trump a nepotist
- How do i make a pc
- How does the classroom environment affect learning
- How does sex work in Islam
- How to lose thigh fat easily
- CloudFlare really speeds up your website