Who attacked Caesar or Pompey first?
Civil Wars: How Caesar Lost a Battle against Pompey
When Caesar in January 49 BC When he crossed the Rubicon river with 3,000 soldiers, which separated his area of command from Italy, he is said to have spoken of a game of dice for good reason. Because the victory in the civil war, which he opened with it, was by no means as unambiguous as it would be in hindsight. A game of risk with the highest stakes began, in which the opposing party also had good cards.
In July 48, Caesar had locked his former ally Pompeius, who had now taken over the leadership of the Senate army, at Dyrrhachium (Durrës in Albania). But he blew up the blockade ring and drove Caesar to the brink of catastrophe. "Today the enemy would have won," commented Caesar, "if they had a winner."
It is true that Caesar was able to make decisions and carry out actions much faster than his opponents - from a personal point of view and in the role of an insurgent general. But that could only partially compensate for the lack of soldiers and the lack of a fleet. After the Senate declared him an enemy of the state, Pompey managed to cross the Adriatic Sea unmolested with five legions from Brundisium (Brindisi). In Dyrrhachium, at the starting point of the famous Via Egnatia, he moved into an extensive camp and began to mobilize the almost immeasurable resources of the East for the fight against Caesar.
- Which problem are we trying to solve?
- Does NET support multiple inheritance
- What is Commonly Known about Relationships
- Are you your friend
- What are some of the main uses for superglue
- Why are frozen fruits cheaper
- How dangerous are African wasp hornets
- What is Adobe Experience Design CC about
- Why is a whitepaper called that
- Is Tezpur safe?
- What are YOU afraid of 1
- What if the whole world were water?
- Why do parents suddenly want grandchildren?
- What are some quotes that you wrote
- What causes slowness in a static website
- When did it happen Is it right
- Why is it a passion to be a chef?
- What Online Sites Pay For Attributions
- Can US citizens travel to Belarus?
- How was the UnCollege application process
- How can I study civilization
- Is EduPristine a good institute
- How has Quora changed
- What horror films aren't scary