Every compound sentence needs a comma
Put commas. But right!
Not everyone has to be a professional at placing commas. But if you keep pondering in your own texts where the comma belongs, then we can encourage you. The seemingly insurmountable mountain of knowledge is actually just a little hill. And with these 5 guidelines in mind, you too can reach the top. You don't lose any more time and your texts will become a bit more professional.
Tip: Memorize or print out this little guide and place it next to your keyboard. Always in the field of vision, always at hand, you are on the safe side with every new text.
RULE 1: COME BETWEEN 2 Sentences
Make sure you know where the conjugated verbs are.
“When he got home late at nightran, thought Hannes after about his work. "
Both verbs are not in the infinitive ("to run" and "think"), but have an assigned subject: "He" and "Hannes". A complete sentence usually has only one conjugated verb: "He ran home." If two verbs occur, they must be separated from each other by a comma. You can recognize a complete sentence by the fact that it can also stand on its own:
The comma is also used when one of the two sentences is a subordinate clause.
"Iseethat you are finegoes.»
"You are fine."
A subject can be assigned to both verbs here: "I" and "It". A comma is therefore mandatory. By the way: Even if the subordinate clause comes before the main clause, this rule does not change:
«That you are finegoes, seeI."
RULE 2: COMMA IN THE EXTENDED INFINITIVE
The expanded infinitive cannot exist without leaning on another sentence. A really affectionate guy.
"Itis great youto see.»
In the above example we only find a conjugated verb in the first partial main clause, namely "Is". In the second part there is the infinitive, so «To see». Since this connection is a little too narrow for the main clause, he insists on a comma. Let's compare the comma with a prenuptial agreement that keeps the two a little apart. Such an infinitive is even easier to recognize in sentences that start with "around" be initiated:
"Igo to the gym to get sportierto become.»
The order can also be changed in both examples. The comma still remains:
"Youto see, is beautiful."
«To be sportierto become, go I go to the gym. "
RULE 3: COMMA IN LISTINGS
This rule of decimal points causes very few problems. However, for the sake of completeness we list them:
"She likes sunflowers, gladioli, roses and lilies of the valley best."
Lists are separated by commas so that the reader knows what belongs together.
RULE 4: COME IN OPPOSITIES
Oops. This is mean now. The following sentence has only ONE conjugated verb and a comma is still used:
«Luisalikenot him, but you. "
No panic. This rule is also straightforward. If you want to express a contrast and this is something like "rather", "but", "However" or "Indeed" is introduced, a comma must be used, even if there is no verb after it. Small memory aid: two things don't go together at all because they are too contradicting each other. Separate them with a comma and everyone will be happy.
RULE 5: COME ON A INSERT
In a text there is still a little need for explanation or something should be described in more detail. To make it easier for the reader, the additional information is separated by commas:
"Dr. Ludwig,employed at the University of Applied Sciences in Konstanzis the best lecturer. "
«I only take the train once a weekon mondays.»
With these 5 rules you can already cover most of the sentences you need every day. Once you have internalized these tips, it will be like driving a car: you concentrate on the way and where you want to go, while shifting, braking and moving off, i.e. setting commas, happens by itself.
Oh yes: we are repeatedly asked whether it is now "Commas" or "Commas" called. The answer is simple. Both plurals are correct.
And now we wish you every success the next time you write a text and the comma question comes up.
Author: Ramona Grutschnig
- Produce lymphocytes after birth
- The nightlife in New York City is dying
- Which state has the most engineering professions
- Did the Democrats reject uneducated white men?
- Medford Oregon is bike friendly
- What are some religious beliefs about consciousness
- How do you do business with Meesho
- Why is Santiniketan famous
- What is the full form of MHA
- What determines how languages change phonetically
- Do the Germans have a good knowledge of grammar
- Why was gunpowder important
- Can dog poop kill you
- What is a tragedy for you
- What does Copy do in Python
- How do you build a ranking engine
- States should be responsible for education
- What are the difficulties Nehru faces
- Should you get into the restaurant business
- What are the elementary particles of consciousness
- What makes a great Instagram post
- Why doesn't my Windows shut down?
- What is easier to learn bottle or Django
- Can a professor do an internship?
- Is there a WhatsApp group for RPA
- What are the benefits of a bank merger
- How to make sugar-free caramel
- How to earn 10 crores
- Karl Marx was a German
- What new cryptos to buy in cents
- What are different careers in forensics
- What is meant by epoch time
- Is Giants QB Eli Manning Elite
- Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is a communist