How much do nurses earn in Portugal
Income and salaries in Portugal
Average salaries in Portugal
The gross domestic product (GDP) per inhabitant in Portugal was around 19,250 euros per person in 2018. For comparison: In Germany the GDP in 2016 was 40,485 euros. Before the economic crisis in 2008, the value in Portugal was over 21,200 euros. After the low of around 16,300 euros was reached in 2015, the gross domestic product per inhabitant has been rising again since 2016. It is not yet possible to foresee what effects the corona pandemic will have on development.
The average gross earnings in Portugal in 2018 was 1,166 euros per month. That makes an average annual income of 16,324 euros. 14 wages and salaries are paid in Portugal. 12 monthly salaries plus Christmas bonus and vacation bonus.
In comparison, the Portuguese are quite far behind with their average income in the EU average. Of the countries with the euro as their currency, only Lithuania, Latvia and Slovakia lag behind Portugal. For comparison: In Germany, the average (gross) income in 2019 was 3,994 euros.
After years of stagnation and cuts, however, wages and salaries in Portugal have increased slightly since 2015.
There are also differences in earnings between men and women in Portugal. The average annual wage of women in 2019 was around a fifth lower than the average income of men. This value has only improved very slightly since 2008.
Incidentally, the Portuguese Prime Minister earns 5,436.62 euros per month (as of 2019), significantly less than the earnings of the German Chancellor (approx. 23,600 euros per month).
As in many countries, there are large regional differences in wages and salaries in Portugal. The average wage is highest in Lisbon and the surrounding area at around 1,054 euros, followed by northern Portugal at 865 euros, central Portugal (855 euros), the Alentejo (851 euros) and the Algarve (840 euros).
The lowest wages and salaries are paid in the Portuguese islands of Madeira and the Azores. In the Azores the average monthly wage is 801 euros, in Madeira only 796 euros.
Selected average wages in Portugal
The following list gives you an overview of the monthly gross income and salaries of certain occupational groups in Portugal for the year 2018:
- Hotel and catering trade: 820 euros
- Agriculture: 896 euros
- Construction: 993 euros
- Health care / social work: 1,055 euros
- Public administration: 1,099 euros
- Education: 1,272 euros
- Transport / logistics: 1,426 euros
- Finance / Insurance: 2,321 euros
- Software developer: 1,300 euros
- General practitioner: 1,690 euros
- Lawyer: 1,665 euros
- Hairdresser: 844 euros
- Mason: 881 euros
Minimum wage in Portugal
In Portugal there is a statutory minimum wage, the »salário mínimo«, officially retribuição mínima mensal garantida (RMMG). It is currently (2021) EUR 665 per month (EUR 8,890 per year). Converted over 12 months, the minimum wage in Portugal is 740.83 euros.
The minimum wage has risen steadily in recent years. It has existed since 1974 and initially amounted to the equivalent of 16.50 euros per month.
Unemployment rate in Portugal
In October 2020, the unemployment rate in Portugal was 7.5%. However, the numbers look much worse for those in employment between the ages of 15 and 24. At the same time, 23.9% were unemployed.
Sources: Centro de Relações Laborais / Instituto Nacional de Estatística (INE)
- What is burn-up chart in agility
- How do alarms work in mobile devices
- Which Chevrolet offers the best mileage
- What does modesty mean in Islam
- How did Charles Dickinson die
- Why doesn't Facebook support SMS in Israel?
- Should India declare war on China
- How is apple cider vinegar made
- What is the used first vehicle
- Why do children want to kill themselves
- How should I teach Photoshop
- Includes omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience
- How are the dimensions of density determined
- What are top internet investments
- How do I invest in Ola
- What is the market telling you
- Why do you love or hate Halloween
- How will marketers use Google+
- What is the full form of OEM
- Is hydrogen a metal
- What is a sparrow song
- What makes marriage boring
- What's your rating of Helsinki
- How can I take care of anything again?
- How to send mail mail
- Is a clarinet relevant
- Are there natural risks in Iquitos Peru
- How do I change my address
- What does the Punjabi word Vigarna mean
- How are GPS apps developed
- How can I sell my dogs quickly
- Is joy separated from circumstances
- What is Shank's zodiac sign