How to Install a Car Battery
Change the car battery
Our battery replacement guide shows you how to do it Change your car battery yourself can and what to look for when buying a new battery. Next to the counselor we provide you with a practical how-to-change-autobetterie-Video ready. You can also find one Step-by-step instructions with all important points summarized.
Changing the battery on the car is one of the tasks that vehicle owners can usually do themselves. However, a few aspects must be observed here so that the exchange works without problems:
When should you change the car battery?
If the vehicle no longer starts, this is usually due to a defective car battery. If this is unusable, it must be changed. Because a repair is not possible.
How can the battery discharge quickly?
Cold winter days are one of the most common causes of a low charge level. In cold and frosty conditions, the battery needs higher currents to start the vehicle. The more time it takes to start the engine, the lower the battery's charge capacity.
If the vehicle is not used for a long period of time, the car battery will also discharge comparatively quickly. Because some electrical devices in the vehicle are constantly under voltage and thus constantly consume energy from the car battery. Short trips, heated seats and incorrectly set voltage regulators can also affect the performance of the battery.
Often times, the battery can be fully recharged using a good charger. With a little knowledge, you can even charge the car battery without removing it. However, if the car battery is older, it may be worthwhile to replace it in good time due to its limited service life.
Why the battery should be changed regularly
The battery should not only be changed when it is found to be defective. Instead, it is recommended that you replace the component about every five to seven years to avoid running out of car batteries. If you no longer know how long ago the last battery change was, you can check the performance. For this you can use a conventional multimeter, which can display the capacity of the battery.
Other signs that the car battery needs to be changed
The following situations are also signs that you should change your car battery:
- If your vehicle does not start on the first or second attempt in winter, battery performance could be impaired.
- If your headlights only shine weakly, this is often due to a reduced capacity of the battery.
What should you watch out for when buying a new battery?
Before you can change your battery, you will of course need a fresh car battery. When buying, there are a few things to consider:
First, you should note that electric cars require traction batteries, while conventional vehicles have starter batteries. In addition, the technical data of the element must be checked.
Finally, you should know the dimensions of your current battery in order to find a suitable new one. Otherwise it cannot be attached properly or it is too big for the bracket. So measure the height, length and width and use them as a guide when buying a new battery. In addition, the capacity, which is specified in ampere hours (Ah), must be taken into account. This information enables you to find the right model for your battery replacement in stores.
Changing the car battery: a guide
Have you noticed that your car battery no longer has the required capacity? In any case, you always have the option of having the battery in the car changed by an expert in the workshop. So you can be sure that it is used properly. However, the change is one of the tasks that most drivers carry out themselves at home. So that you can change your car battery correctly, we have put together all the important steps in the following instructions.
Which tool do I need?
Special tools are usually not required for this task. However, a wrench or screwdriver and pliers are required. Alternatively, a ratchet can be used to remove the old car battery.
Tip: pole grease or pole spray Pole spray and pole grease are often used as corrosion protection. It is intended to ensure that any acid that may escape is neutralized in order to avoid oxidation of the contacts.
How do I prepare to replace the car battery?
So that you do not endanger yourself or other people and do not damage your vehicle, you should ensure a safe working environment at the beginning. That means:
- Park in a closed, free and level area.
- Keep a large distance from open flames.
- Do not smoke near your vehicle.
- Put on work clothes, gloves and safety glasses.
Also take into account that the power supply to the vehicle will be interrupted when you replace the car battery. Devices such as a navigation system or a radio often require you to enter a PIN code when you start up again - so have it ready.
Finally, you should prepare the vehicle for the replacement:
- Turn off all electrical components in the vehicle.
- Turn off the engine.
- Open and lock the bonnet.
- Look for the car battery. This is provided with a plastic cover in many cars.
- Remove the cover.
You can now replace the car battery.
How do I change a car battery?
There is a sequence that must be followed when changing the car battery. Otherwise short circuits or flying sparks can damage the engine. For this reason, we have put together a car battery change guide below to help you do it:
Step 1: Remove the old battery
You can recognize the car battery by its box shape and the two poles, to each of which a cable is connected. In newer batteries, the poles are often red and blue or red and black - the positive pole is red. One of the most common questions when changing car batteries is: First plus or minus?
Important: Always disconnect the negative pole first! Otherwise, there may be flying sparks or even a short circuit. So you do as follows:
- Unscrew the nut from the negative pole and pull off the black connecting cable.
- Loosen the nut from the positive pole to be able to remove the red cable here.
- Loosen the screws of the mounting system.
- If the car battery is now exposed, you can remove it.
Attention: A car battery for a passenger car weighs between ten and 30 kilograms. You should definitely take this into account when replacing the battery.
Step 2: Insert the new battery
After removing the old battery, insert the new accumulator in the corresponding battery compartment. Then you should fix the battery using the mounting system and tighten the mounting screws. You can now connect the new car battery.
Step 3: Connect the battery
To connect the new car battery, it is essential that you proceed in reverse order. So you first attach the red cable to the positive pole and tighten the nut. Then attach the black cable to the negative pole and also tighten the nut and screw here.
Attention: If you would like to use pole grease or pole spray, this is the right time!
Tip: put on polar caps! It makes sense to put pole caps on the battery poles. In this way, they can be safely covered and protected against short circuits.
Finally, you can put the battery cover back on, close the hood, and start your vehicle. You may also have to enter the respective PIN codes after starting your electrical devices.
Step 4: Dispose of the old battery
Make sure that you dispose of the old battery properly. The car component must never be disposed of with household waste. Usually you can take the car battery to a recycling center. But workshops and auto accessory shops also often accept old car batteries. A small fee may be charged for this.
Changing the car battery: what should you watch out for?
If you would like to change your car battery yourself with the help of our instructions, you will find additional tips below to make it easier for you:
- The car battery was not always installed under the bonnet. On some vehicles it can also be located in the trunk.
- Some larger vehicles can have multiple car batteries.
- A mounting system for the car battery makes sense. In this way you ensure that the accumulator cannot slip or fall out.
- If the battery terminals are corroded, they should be cleaned before changing the battery. You can use a paintbrush or a small wire brush for this.
- Always wear gloves when changing the vehicle battery.
This will protect your hands from any harmful acids that may leak out.
- Do not wear jewelry on your hands as it could be damaged during the change.
- Make sure that the two poles are never connected to each other.
- It makes sense to have the car battery checked twice a year. In this way, you can tell in good time when you should change the car battery.
Now change the car battery
- Should Michael Jackson's music be banned
- Are you against racism
- How can Turkey solve the PKK problem
- What rhymes with die
- How is trust a mindset?
- Ordinary moments do exist
- Mutual respect is necessary for friendship
- What loan fees are tax deductible
- Works the insertion of hashtags in the comments
- How safe is OLX
- Helps Kratom with withdrawal from suboxones
- Is Costa Rica a poor country
- What is the idea of secularism
- Does Hinduism have a concept of jinns
- Where in Mumbai can I learn astronomy
- Why is transparency so difficult to achieve
- How can I invest in knowledge
- Coding has a bright future
- Why do we study science and mathematics
- Who was Marcus Arelius
- What is solid oxygen bleach
- What causes amyloidosis
- What is your biggest change in your career
- When should I monetize a blog?