You can overdose on clobetasol propionate
Clobetasol propionateDrug groupsTopical glucocorticoids: Clobetasol propionate is an anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, immunosuppressive and antiallergic active ingredient from the group of highly effective glucocorticoids for the external and short-term treatment of skin diseases. The medicines are usually applied thinly once or twice a day. The most common adverse effects include local skin reactions. Improper and overdosed treatment should be avoided because skin changes and systemic side effects of cortisone can occur.
synonymous: Clobetasoli propionas, Clobetasoli-17-propionas, Clobetasol-17-propionateProducts
Clobetasol propionate is available as a cream, ointment, foam, shampoo and scalp application (Dermovate®, Clobex®, Clarelux®). It has been approved in Switzerland since 1976.Structure and properties
Clobetasol propionate (C.25H32ClFO5, Mr = 466.97 g / mol) is the ester of Clobetasol with propionic acid. It is a derivative of prednisolone. Clobetasol propionate is a white, crystalline powder that is insoluble in water.
Clobetasol propionate (ATC D07AD01) has anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, immunosuppressive, vasoconstricting and antiallergic properties. Clobetasol propionate is one of the very effective topical glucocorticoids (strength class IV). The effects are based on the binding to intracellular glucocorticoid receptors in the cytoplasm of the cells. The resulting complex interacts with the DNA.
Mechanism of action of the glucocorticoids, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikiIndications
For the treatment of skin conditions that respond to topical glucocorticoids.
The liquid dosage forms are used to treat eczema and psoriasis of the scalp.dosage
According to the specialist information. The medicines are usually applied thinly once or twice a day. Dermocorticoids are not suitable for uninterrupted long-term treatment.Contraindications
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
CYP3A4 inhibitors inhibit the metabolism of clobetasol propionate and can lead to increased systemic exposure.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include local skin reactions such as burning sensation, pain and itching. Improper and overdosed use can lead to skin changes such as skin thinning, striae and telangiectasias as well as systemic glucocorticoid side effects.see also
Topical glucocorticoids, clobetasol butyrateliterature
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, D, UK, USA)
- Feldman S.R., Yentzer B.A. Topical clobetasol propionate in the treatment of psoriasis: a review of newer formulations. Am J Clin Dermatol, 2009, 10 (6), 397-406 Pubmed
- Menter M.A., Caveney S.W., Gottschalk R.W. Impact of clobetasol propionate 0.05% spray on health-related quality of life in patients with plaque psoriasis. J Drugs Dermatol, 2012, 11 (11), 1348-54 Pubmed
- Pels R., Sterry W., Lademann J. Clobetasol propionate - where, when, why? Drugs Today (Barc), 2008, 44 (7), 547-57 Pubmed
- Reid D.C., Kimball A.B. Clobetasol propionate foam in the treatment of psoriasis. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 2005, 6 (10), 1735-40 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 5/17/2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- What is GPU mining
- How many nationalized banks are there
- Aggravates self-harm mental illness
- Why have planes never exceeded speeds?
- Where to Dive in Chicago
- How do I draw a human foot
- How do I give up alcohol
- Is stock trading compatible for everyone?
- Why shouldn't I get a divorce?
- How do you feel a printer jam
- Which KPIs monitors LinkedIn
- Which cement company is better
- Why do people make embarrassing TikTok videos
- Which are the famous marketplaces in Kakinada
- Which banks allow forex trading in India
- Uses Facebook Libra blockchain
- What kind of doctor is a dermatologist
- Is IT just a line of business
- What are some famous charcoal drawings
- How do you get taller at 15
- How is IndiGo Airlines
- What distracts from being focused
- Why is Switzerland always neutral in wars?