Why is vinegar used to preserve food
Souring is the seasoning and preservation of dishes with acidic foods. (Photo by: Tolikof / Depositphotos.com)
"In a good sauce, sweetness and acidity have to fight each other" is an old saying in the kitchen. Indeed, well-measured acidity stimulates the appetite on the palate. With acidulants you can also preserve vegetables, meat and fish excellently and at the same time add fresh, new flavor accents.
The basic principle of souring
The pH of the food to be preserved is shifted to the acidic range. This prevents the formation of micro-organisms. The food has a longer shelf life. In the case of dairy products such as yoghurt, this can be a few days or weeks, in the case of pickled vegetables it can be years.
What is used in this
Basically, two different acidulants are used for acidification. Vinegar is used for pickled vegetables (cucumber, mixed pickles, beetroot) and fish. With sourdough, sauerkraut, yoghurt and buttermilk, chefs start the lactic acid fermentation to stop the aging of the food.
Don't just make it durable
But food is not only acidified for the sake of shelf life. You can also enjoy the new, hearty taste of fish, meat and vegetables.
Rating: Ø 2.9 (37 votes)
- Why can't i root Gionee P5L
- Is nimesulide suitable for pregnant women
- Where will Firefox download the screen capture
- Do you think everyone suffers from depression?
- Why do horror films have sex scenes
- What's your rating of Edmonton AB
- How many square feet is 18 acres
- What is cultural uniformity
- Why do you like to sing
- Why should I enroll at ICT?
- How long can two narcissists live together
- How does gShift Labs compare to SEOmoz
- Could keratin be the future of plastic?
- Are cargo planes put under pressure
- What are the axioms of morality
- What is the auto parts packaging market
- Linen saree is difficult to handle
- Which advertising medium
- What comes from India
- What is SWOT in Marketing
- Why can't I manage my emotions
- Family relationships change over time
- How does immigration affect public services?
- Has your teacher ever toasted someone
- Can a cat become addicted to catnip?
- Did you win the genetic lottery?
- Do you have a brain
- What is 2 2500
- What is a stoechiometric equation
- How do I keep myself under control?
- Video games have a bad impact on children
- What is alpine disease