Why is the star Betelgeuse shrinking
Supernova in Orion? What Betelgeuse's blackout means
A decrease in luminosity is not unusual in itself for a star like Betelgeuse. It is one of the variable stars and has experienced fluctuations in brightness over the past decades, which have been well researched. What is unusual, however, is that one of the most striking points of light in the sky darkens so extremely. Some scientists therefore consider that something special could soon happen: Betelgeuse could die in a huge explosion and shine brighter than the full moon for a short time before disappearing forever from the night sky.
Red giants like Betelgeuse have a relatively short and turbulent existence. It inevitably ends in a supernova, a tremendous star explosion that is visible over vast distances. So even if Betelgeuse is a relatively young star at around 8.5 million years old, researchers know that it is nearing the end of its life.
“The biggest question is actually when it becomes a supernova,” wrote Sarafina Nance on Twitter. The researcher from UC Berkeley studies betelgeuse and star explosions. "Disclaimer: I don't think it's going to explode anytime soon," she added in an interview with National Geographic. "But I'm already looking forward to when the time will come."
What do we know about Betelgeuse?
The star's name is believed to be based on an incorrect spelling and translation of its Arabic name yad al-jauza back, which means “hand of Orion”. It is also known as α Orionis. The alpha title is usually due to the brightest star in a constellation, which in this case would actually be Rigel at Orion's left foot.
In direct comparison with our sun, it becomes clear how Betelgeuse deserves the title of the red supergiant: It has 20 times the mass of the sun, and if our home star were replaced by Betelgeuse, the red star would represent Mercury, Venus, Earth, devour Mars, the asteroid belt, a few space probes, and maybe even Jupiter. Suddenly it would be pretty hot on Saturn.
- When was a midsummer night's dream written?
- How can an adult increase their IQ
- How fast is Shadow the Hedgehog
- Includes omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience
- Why are there so many marital problems
- What is the difference between resistance and impedance
- How does elderberry syrup help?
- How do I pronounce the name Chimamanda
- Who created the website rio2016 com
- How did Charles Dickinson die
- Is traveling really so much fun
- Jira is open source
- How we can understand basic genetics
- What was your worst experience on Reddit
- Should I make a website
- Will England ever be a republic?
- How to convert OFC to OneCoin
- How to create the professional website
- Why is change important in an organization
- Shepard Smith is a Republican
- Why is the Indian government not digging up Dwaraka
- What is a Merge Short Algorithm
- Is a clarinet relevant
- Mugabe is alive in 2019
- Has Eren Jaeger become an enemy
- Were you loved as a child
- Mahi Mahi contains mercury
- What does Groupon cost a company
- Why has Umesh Yadav's pace slowed
- How does a pool cleaner work
- What do you gain from studying
- How stressful is diagnostic radiology
- Has anyone ever died of toothpaste?
- Can be given Tylenol every 4 hours