Can you be constipated and still poop?
Your cat is constipated - how to help
While diarrhea is noticed fairly quickly, constipation can go undetected in your darling for a long time. "Constipation" is more common in cats than in dogs and can be life threatening.
How often the cat has to sit down varies from cat to cat. If the cat drops stool less often, then one speaks of a "Constipation”. Under the medical term "Constipation”Is a chronic constipation of the bowel. This is the case when the cat has not weaned its poop for a long period of time.
If, on the other hand, the manure is no longer removed at all, this is referred to as "Coprostasis”And this is a life threatening emergency. You definitely shouldn't ignore that!
The transport of the feces through the gastrointestinal tract usually takes between 12 and 24 hours. As a rule, a cat consumes food on a daily basis and should accordingly pass feces every day. However, if your cat takes a short break, it does not automatically mean there is a problem. The The causes of constipation can be varied, however, external factors can prevent it from occurring again.
Here are the 6 main causes of constipation:
- One of the most important factors in causing constipation is one low fiber diet or. reduced fluid intake. Although cats are carnivores, the intake of crude fiber plays a very important role in ensuring healthy digestion. In particular, swellable raw fibers ensure a healthy intestinal flora and, due to their ability to bind water, prevent the excrement from hardening. Always make sure that your cat is getting enough fiber with their food.
- As is well known, carries Obesity, due to a lack of exercise, also contributes to constipation. An ideal weight and sufficient exercise also ensure healthy digestion. In any case, avoid overfeeding your cat.
- Great care must be taken when recording Foreign bodiesswallowed by the cat. Because these can also cause a blockage in the intestinal canal and thus a blockage. Quick action is necessary here!
- In the case of older cats, however, play in particular Joint or spine problems as well as tumors play a role in causing constipation. Do you feel that your cat doesn't like exercise with age? That could be an indication.
- Also narrowing of the intestinal canal, due to a Tumor or one Inflammation, can prevent the passage of feces and reduce the intestinal diameter. Inflammation in the intestines also occurs in cats that are under a Worm infestation Suffer. Always remember to deworm your cat.
- In addition, you can Vertebrae malformations or. Diseases of the nerves other causes of constipation. Falling out of the window or car accidents can trigger such nerve paralysis.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
But how do you know if your cat is showing signs of constipation? Cats who are constipated are rarely and difficult to defecate.
- The feces are mostly hard and round- instead of cigar-shaped. Often you will see an unsuccessful pressing on the litter box and the amount of feces is significantly less than usual.
- Other signs may be Utterances of the cat, Restlessness or Cramps in the abdomen be. This is easier to spot with domestic cats than with outdoor cats, as they tend to drop their excrement outside.
- It is not uncommon for the cat to have a painful stomach and react aggressive to the touch. Due to this pain, the feed intake is often stopped, so that liver problems can arise due to the reduced intake of protein.
- Constipation can also have a number of other complications, such as Dehydration or poor circulation cause.
Ask our specialist vets to find out what your cat has! Dr. SAM specialize in telemedicine and can use telephone and video advice on your mobile phone to assess symptoms and provide you with immediate help!
A Dehydration can be determined from a fold of skin. If you form a fold of skin with two fingers (for example on the flank) and then let go of it, it should smooth out after a maximum of 2 seconds. If, on the other hand, the skin fold remains, it is more likely to indicate dehydration. You can also use this method to check to see if your cat is dehydrated. Try it out!
In order to treat the constipation successfully, the underlying cause must first be determined. You're probably wondering why your Vet on site has done some research, or might want to know how he goes about root cause research.
- By Palpation of the abdomen a stool can be detected. He usually scans the abdomen to see how much feces there is in the rectum.
- In many cases there is one rectal exam useful under anesthesia to identify problems in the rectum.
- A X-ray image provides information about the extent of the problem, the presence of an intestinal obstruction or a so-called megacolon and the amount of feces that is in the intestine. Joint or spine problems can also be found as the cause of constipation using an X-ray. This is often an option if you have an older pet.
- A Blood test is informative to rule out organ problems and possibly to reveal deviations in the blood count.
- A endoscopic examination may be necessary to obtain information about the bowel disease and to perform a biopsy. Sometimes, unfortunately, despite careful diagnostics, the cause of the constipation cannot be found.
The first measure is that Intake of normal milk a way to provoke diarrhea so that fluid can get into the intestines to help move the feces along. Unfortunately, it is usually difficult to tell what is causing constipation. The vets from Dr. SAM support.
Therapy is all about The first priority is to enable the manure to pass and to empty the bowel. Initial measures from the vet, such as giving an enema (enema), can often eliminate the problem. An enema is the introduction of a liquid into the intestine to cleanse it.
Never buy anything yourself from the pharmacy. Many of the human medicines contain active ingredients that can put your cat's life at risk!
The oral administration of paraffin oil and laxatives ensure that the intestinal pulp is kept soft. In this case, the paraffin oil acts as a lubricant to facilitate the further transport of the manure. A cat should never get paraffin oil without veterinary advice, as life-threatening pneumonia can develop if swallowed. Dr. SAM can advise you individually in detail so that you can take initial measures.
There are very large amounts of feces in the intestines the intestine must be rinsed under anesthesia and manually cleared out by the vet. It does this by introducing lukewarm water into the rectum. This procedure often has to be repeated several times in order to completely empty the bowel.
If the cause can be traced back to the wrong diet, you can remove the constipation by adding raw fiber or psyllium husks. Raw fibers and roughage increase intestinal motor skills by stretching the intestinal wall. This means that the mashed feed is transported away faster, which means that blockages can be avoided.
Caution: cats suffering from a megacolon are the exception here. Since the intestine is already pathologically overstretched in this case, further stretching would delay the further transport even more and thus worsen the problem.
Other ways of prevention:
- Adequate hydration and, if necessary, switching to a wet food can often eliminate chronic problems
- Also the Use of a drinking fountain for cats, often increases water intake
- The Litter box also plays an important role here. It must always be ensured that several litter boxes are available!
Older cats with osteoarthritis, avoid going to the litter box due to pain. Here, the use of painkillers would definitely make squatting and pressing easier.
Please note that only after your individual case has been clarified by a veterinarian, preventive measures should be taken to prevent constipation.
Are you unsure and would you like to learn more about Dr. Learn about SAM - just click the link and get further insights into our work.
Dr. Christian Dimitriadis
- Veterinarian at Dr. SAM
- What is the use of life data
- Will the earth's core solidify in the future?
- Why does the bark split on maple trees
- Do we know where the internet is calling you
- What are possible essays for ICSE 2018
- Can a bipolar person be happily married
- Contains vomit commensal microorganisms
- What is QEMU
- Can I do genetics after 12
- Is love mean
- Will Facebook really be closed
- How do I activate my Shopify store
- Has Ronald Reagan become an American myth
- Do you like rock music by Balcan
- How long should I take bulk protein?
- Will the film Black Panther denounce racism?
- What Online Sites Pay For Attributions
- What does fortnight mean
- What is Thapar 2nd year Faecher
- What are very useful math short tricks
- What mobile brands do you use
- How is the government tracking me online
- How much does it cost to install Comcast Internet
- Is hegemony possible without constant war?