This is how you reduce your water consumption
In contrast to many other countries in the world, drinking water is not a scarce resource in most regions in Germany. But even with us, the treatment and provision of drinking water is associated with costs that have to be passed on to the consumer. In addition, in many cases the water is heated before it is used, which requires the use of energy. By successfully reducing the amount of hot water, you can save twice: on drinking water (including waste water) and on energy.
But what options are there to save water? Here are a few tips:
Save water when washing
Regardless of whether you use the dishwasher or the washing machine, there are great savings opportunities with both household appliances. Especially since not only the water, but also the electricity costs can be reduced here.
- Modern dish or washing machines use significantly less water and energy than old models. The EU energy label for electrical appliances provides information on the actual energy consumption.
- Use the dishwasher. In contrast to washing up by hand, today's dishwashers use significantly less water.
- Wait until the machine is really full. Modern dishwashers and washing machines can only work economically if they are fully loaded.
- Modern machines usually have an eco or economy mode. This can be used when the degree of pollution is low and helps to save water and energy.
- Establish "washing communities" with your neighbors. This is a useful tip, especially if you only have a small household and the machine often does not get full. This is how you get to know each other better.
Reduce water consumption when showering
Here, too, you can save water and energy.
- A quick shower requires significantly less water than a long bath in the tub. 150-200 liters fit into an average bathtub, a normal shower only consumes around 80 liters, i.e. only half.
- Use a shower head that has the ability to limit water flow. This allows the amount of water to be reduced by up to 50% per unit of time. Special nozzles increase the water volume by trapping air so that showering pleasure is maintained.
- A flow limiter can also be installed on the tap.
- If you only turn on the tap briefly, then always set the regulator to cold. Because if you do not have a flow heater, the warm water must first be transported from the heating system to the tap and that takes time. So if you only open the tap briefly and it is warm, then warm water will be requested, but you will not get it in time, instead it will cool down in the pipe afterwards.
Economy button flush toilet
- Installation of a cistern with economy button. Very effective as most of the water in private households is used to flush toilets. Actually old hat, but unfortunately there are still a lot of toilets without them.
- With a rainwater harvesting system, the drinking water for flushing toilets can be completely replaced by rainwater. However, this measure only makes sense in the case of a new building or complex house renovation, as a separate pipe network is required.
Rainwater harvesting for garden irrigation
- A rain barrel in the garden collects water that can be used to irrigate the garden. The savings potential is particularly great here and the investment required is comparatively low. In a large garden, the installation of a rainwater harvesting system can also be useful.
Although the water consumption in Germany is quite low compared to other European countries, the savings potential is far from being exhausted. And you don't even have to forego comfort.
- What does your Mac desktop look like
- How much mucus does the body produce
- What are very useful math short tricks
- Is epoxy resin plastic
- Is Taco Bell more popular than McDonalds
- What would happen if Honduras invaded Sweden?
- Which trends are revolutionizing social e-commerce?
- Plan your outfits every day
- How majestic are the Valars
- Which elections will take place in 2019?
- What is Meth Ingestion
- Are mathematicians artists
- What are good resume qualities
- Can drink military in uniform
- Has Billie Eilish Tourettes
- What are some good web2py tutorials
- What do you do with premonitions
- Hillary Clinton is a saint
- What is suspicious of crontab entry
- Who are the Farsi
- How can one deal with risk behavior
- Should I go to college?
- What is the difference between resistance and impedance
- What is 3 4 5 7