What is the content in Kiwi
Ripe kiwis will keep in the refrigerator for around two weeks. (Photo by: © Andrey Starostin / fotolia.com)
The kiwi is nicknamed "chinese gooseberry“Because it bears a certain resemblance to this fruit.
Depending on the variety, kiwifruit are around 2-8 centimeters long. Their hairy, thin, green-brown shell, which is soft and hairy to the touch, is characteristic. The seed of the kiwi is in the middle along a white strand and the pulp is usually green or slightly yellowish.
The name "Chinese gooseberry" already indicates the original country of origin of the kiwi: China.
The kiwi started its triumphal march in our latitudes after it was exported to New Zealand and from there shipped all over the world.
Today the main growing areas are Italy, New Zealand, Chile, France and Greece.
Peel the kiwi quickly and easily:
Like most exotic fruits, you can actually buy kiwi from us all year round.
The European countries of origin deliver kiwifruit from October to May. The season in Chile and New Zealand starts around May and continues until the end of the year.
Describing the taste of kiwi fruit is not easy, because it varies greatly depending on the degree of ripeness and variety.
Most kiwi fruit taste like a cross between gooseberries, strawberries, and melons.
Basically they are sweet and mild, but also have a very slightly sour note. This is especially true when a kiwi is not quite ripe. The yellower the pulp, the sweeter the taste.
A kiwi tastes best when it is no longer hard, but can be pressed in a little with your finger, but is not yet mushy.
Use in the kitchen
If you eat the kiwi as a snack, it is usually cut in half and the pulp scooped out.
It is usually peeled for further use in the kitchen. This works best when the fruit is still relatively hard - then the thin skin can be removed with a normal vegetable peeler.
Info: The peel is also in principle edible, tastes similar to that of a gooseberry and also contains vitamins and fiber. However, you should make sure that you only eat the peel with 100% organic kiwi fruit.
It's important, that raw kiwi fruit not with dairy products should be brought together. Kiwifruit contain an enzyme that releases bitter substances when the proteins are broken down, making the dish taste bitter. A kiwi should therefore be briefly heated before it is combined with dairy products.
In addition to the well-known green kiwi there is also the so-called "Kiwi gold". This variety has a smooth skin, an oval shape and the flesh is more yellowish than green. In addition, it also contains less actinidin and can therefore easily be combined with dairy products.
Kiwis go well with or in:
- Fruit salads
- Ice cream and sorbets
- Fruit bowl
- cakes and pies
Kiwi gives hearty dishes a slightly sweet and fruity note.
Info: Kiwi juice and kiwi wine are very popular in New Zealand.
A few recipe recommendations:
Info: The kiwi does not discolour when cut open, so it is also suitable as a decoration.
Storage / shelf life
A fruity chocolate fondue refined with fresh kiwi. (Photo by: © Vankad / fotolia.com)
The kiwi can be stored in the refrigerator. Fruits that are still unripe (very hard) can last up to 4 weeks. Ripe kiwis (which are softer) will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
If they are stored at room temperature, the fruit will ripen faster. If you want to achieve faster subsequent ripening, you have to store kiwifruit together with bananas.
You should not freeze the fruits, as this would cause them to lose a lot of their aroma and ingredients.
Tip: Once the kiwis are ripe, they should be eaten quickly, because within a few days they will eventually reach a rather mushy, overripe state.
Nutritional value / active ingredients
- Kiwis are real vitamin C bombs (twice as high as an orange) - their content is comparable to that of a lemon.
- At the same time, a kiwi also provides vitamins A, B and E as well as calcium.
- Kiwis are also very rich in fiber and contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Kiwis have a strengthening effect on the immune system and get the digestive tract going, especially when the intestines are sluggish.
The included Fruit acid can cause a slight but harmless burning sensation on the tongue or in the palate area in sensitive people.
Info: The daily requirement of vitamin C can be covered with a kiwi. 100 grams of the fruit also have only 61 kilocalories.
Rating: Ø 4.1 (38 votes)
- What are motor kilowatts
- Is existentialism a dead philosophy
- What is the correct order to watch batman
- What happens if someone fails an exam
- How could one integrate ln sin x
- What is 100 100 100 19
- How to say revolt in French
- How is processed meat made
- How do you buy a generic
- Unemotional people feel emotions
- What is the strongest fire style jutsu
- How do dogs become service dogs
- How to infuse puerh tea
- Quit sociopaths
- How important is networking in blogging
- Where did you have the best gazpacho
- Foursquare is still growing
- Most Vietnamese are mixed with French
- Which companies are recruiting students from NICMAR
- What killed Doo Wop
- Why do I need a transcription service
- What attracts you most about Jesus?
- Which is better SASTRA or CIT
- How many cats do you have